To install UFW in Debian 5.0 (Lenny) there are a couple gotchas that you will hit along the way.
- UFW requires Python 2.5 or greater.
- UFW requires make
- UFW does NOT automatically start at boot even though it says it does.
Here are the commands I ran on a clean install (as root).
- Update your package list: aptitude update
- Upgrade your distribution: aptitude safe-upgrade
- Install Python: aptitude install python
- Install build utils: aptitude install build-essential
- Move to a temp location: cd /tmp
- Get the latest from UFW: wgethttp://launchpad.net/ufw/0.29/0.29.3/+download/ufw-0.29.3.tar.gz
- Extract the source: tar xvf ufw-0.29.3.tar.gz
- Go into the source: cd ufw-0.29.3
- Install UFW: python setup.py install
- Configure UFW to boot with tips from here:ln -fs /lib/ufw/ufw-init /etc/init.d/ufw
- Configure rc.defaults:update-rc.d ufw defaults
- Enable UFW: ufw enable
NOTE if you do NOT have make installed you will get a “No such file or directory” error. This actually took me a little while (and digging in setup.py) to figure out.